Friday, July 5, 2013

Best Books for Your Sensitive Girls -

    We all know middle school is tough. Real tough. Between adolescent drama and wacky hormones, everything is suddenly much more dramatic...and devastating. For me, books were a passage away from the nightmarish mountains of mole hill problems. Not only did I escape my selfish tears and puberty trouble, some of the books I read helped me learn from other young girls and ( cliched as it sounds ) find myself just a little bit. The best books were the ones that took me outside of myself to see a bigger picture about what is important in life, how we change, and why being selfish, self centered, and insecure, stinks. I believe books have a special power to preach and comfort those stubborn adolescents who are shutting everybody out. So without further ado I present:

Books For Sensitive Junior High Girls 

The Witch of Blackbird Pond - Elizabeth Speare

Up a Road Slowly - Irene Hunt

Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

Walk Two Moons - Sharon Creech

Esperanza Rising - Pam Runoz Ryan

Jacob Have I Loved - Katherine Patterson

Catherine, Called Birdy - Karen Cushman

Number the Stars - Lois Lowry

Summer of My German Soldier - Bette Greene

No comments: